Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Post Lag

It’s been awhile. Normal excuses: lots of work, family in town.

Truth of the matter: I’ve been running a bit cold and trying to avoid depressing people.

Actually, when I say running cold, I mean mostly playing more poorly than I’d like. Two hands really depressed me as they make me question my ability to ever be more than a mediocre player. Both involved 400+ pots, both in involved players (correctly) calling in late position my preflop raises from middle position with small pairs, both involved me having a pair of aces after the flop (in once case AKs pairing, in the other having AA pre-flop with a queen high flop) and both involved me paying off sets with my whole stack. Both, especially the first, also involved me working to get the information that I was beat post-flop and both involved me nevertheless ignoring that information when I had at least a possibility of only losing half my stack.

I am just not good enough to make those laydowns yet and it really eats at me.

Oh, they also happened online on back to back days the weekend before last, with a Friday night prelude at the Salami with the KATM as witness to me losing 200 on a coinflip plus, making that weekend a full G drop. Quite a comeuppance after actually winning money against bloggers in Vegas.

I have sworn off Salami for now as I am not willing to play it with a deep enough buy-in to play actual poker (I think against the average big stack there I am probably even, with the occasional advantage, but in not a few cases I am significantly outclassed) and short stack play that can make a lot of money against the huge field of short-buying crack aggro donkeys (aggro even for New York at this place) that otherwise populate that room involve playing a poker-like substance game that is just not that fun for me, especially as I seem to have lost every 53-47, 65-35 and similar pre-flop all in race that might make me enjoy the poker-like substance notwithstanding the lack of thought involved. How’s that for a run on sentence?

I am in the hole at least one more WPBT trip report which I promise to write when I get around to it.

There you go DP.

5 Comments:

At Wed Jul 26, 10:53:00 AM 2006, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

I can relate to not trusting or listening to your instincts. It is usually a bad idea but I guess as we get more in tune with what our primal brains are trying to tell us we get better.

 
At Wed Jul 26, 11:10:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you there Sox. It is not so much the money as the kick to the ego that hurts when you call even after your instincts tell you that your tptk is no good.

 
At Wed Jul 26, 11:26:00 AM 2006, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Being that you are in Jersey City you probably don't drive much. Yet, just to remind you, next to the gas thers is another peddle that is called the brake....slow down on blinded corners.

Yet, get back on the road...keep chugging along and follow the white line.

 
At Wed Jul 26, 12:53:00 PM 2006, Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

Urgh. Sorry to hear about the damage taken, Sox. Hope you are able to get back on track sooner rather than later.

 
At Wed Jul 26, 06:25:00 PM 2006, Blogger Kid Dynamite said...

Sox -
if you're having trouble getting away from hands, and are paying off sets for your stack, you don't WANT to be playing deep. That's why the game you're describing, as well as the game I'm used to, are both so juicy and so tough: the stacks are so deep (mine is 1-2NL, $750 max) that players can play a HUGE array of starting hands...

you say you want to be able to play "real poker" - but there is more to real poker than having a stack deep enough to bluff someone off a hand with. With deeper stacks, the decisions YOU have to make are also harder - and costlier.

In addition, your opponents are loose, aggro, and unpredictable, which basically means you had better be prepared to accept some variance.

Bottom line: try playing SHORTER... Try a $200 buy in instead of $400 - when someone opens for $30 and is called twice before you, I'm not suggesting you should try to steal with an all-in $200 raise with junk(as, if your game is anything like mine, you may well get called by A-T suited), but it makes it very easy to play your JJ...

and tell KATM to bring his ass back to my homegame.

-KD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home