Friday, May 19, 2006

Questions from TripJax

Saw TripJax prepared questions and it seemed like an easy way to write a canned post:

1. What is the biggest mistake people make at a NL table?
Assume question is addressed at ring games. If you mean people, the biggest mistake I see is when people can't fold when they're beat. For big bets--especially at lower level NL say up to 200. It may not be the most frequent mistake (which is definitely underbetting) but it's the biggest. Interestingly, it makes another frequent mistake--overbetting--not so much of a mistake.

If you mean this person, it's trying to hijack pots too often, particularly online. Over time, I have drastically reduced the frequency I attempt this and my results have improved accordingly.

2. What is the biggest mistake people make at a Limit table?
Fairly trivial point, they play too many hands. Except at Triple Draw. There, they play too many hands also, but the biggest mistake I see is failing to understand how important position is in that game.

For me, it's playing any hands--I'm not a very good limit player. Well seriously, my biggest mistake in a limit game is probably losing discipline when bored in games other than Triple Draw and Razz, and going on tilt in those after my junk get numb.

3. Why do you play poker?
Masochism?

No, I've always like games and competition. This is surprisingly deep game and and trivially short answer. I think it merits it's own post so that's all I say now.


4. If you weren't playing poker, what would you be doing?
Why do think the net was born...oh, I mean I'd be reading a Penguin classic. No, probably watching more TV.

5. What is your favorite poker book and why?
Harrington on Holdem 2. For me, it's just been the most useful and has helped me wrap my hands around and refine my understanding of concepts I had only been able to barely intuit.

6. Who is your favorite poker player and why?
I don't really have one. For the way he comes at the game from many directions and seems like a nice guy I like Daniel Negreanu (the vegetarian momma's boy thing doesn't do much for me, but it doesn't give me the urge to taunt him through an open car window either).

I absolutlely fear and admire Phil Ivey. No real urge to sit the table with him.

7. Which poker player do you dislike the most and why?
GRob for cracking my aces.

Oh, not really. So many people to put in here, but the asshole de jour is has to be Shawn Sheikhan.

8. Do your coworkers know about your blog?
A select few.

9. What is the most you have won in a cash game or MTT (both live and online)?
Best: It was a very good session.
Worst: It was a very bad session.

10. What is the most you have lost in a cash game or in one day total (both live and online)?

Ask the Rooster, he was there. He can even tell you my bad beats for me. It still hoits!

11. Who was your first poker blog read?
FTrain--discovered my law school buddy's blog by accident search for information on the legality of poker in New York (doh!) He needs to post more often. Pasting up others' old usenet posts does not count.

12. What satisfies you more, your aces holding up for a big pot or a bluff working for a big pot?
Hmmm. I'm not sure having aces hold up "satisfies" me. It's more about relief and evidence that the universe is not always evil. So it must be stealing a big pot.

13. Why do you blog?
I'd like to say it's about improving my game, disciplining my thoughts, but let's be honest, I like to navel gaze.

14. Do you read blogs from an RSS reader like bloglines or do you visit each blog?
Bloglines, will often click through however.

15. Would you rather play poker for a living than do what you currently do for a living?
Not really.

16. Do you wear a tin foil hat on occasion?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean "they" are not after you. I know. I'm one of "them".

17. If you had to pin it down to one specific trait, what does a great poker player have (or do) that separates them from an average player?
Discipline.

18. Is Drizz the coolest person on the planet for naming his baby Vegas?
I don't know. I always preferred "Moonpuppy". But Vegas is pretty cool.

19. What is your primary poker goal and are you close to accomplishing it?
To get mad skillz. Working on it.

20. What is your primary online site and why?
Full Tilt for ring games; lots of juicy tables, great software, excellent customer support.

Poker Stars for tourneys; Full Tilt tourney structures suck ass and they don't fill very often anyway (causal link you think?), solid software, also excellent customer support.

I also play on UTB, primarly for Triple Draw and for a change of pace in my NL ring games--better play, 10 players, I seem to have less swings on UTB NL than FT.

21. What site do you dislike and why?
I hate Party Poker. Software sucks, support sucks. Lots of fish, but you can find those elsewhere too.

2 Comments:

At Fri May 19, 09:57:00 AM 2006, Blogger jjok said...

that's funny.....I said Sheikhan too.

Thought I was being original....

 
At Fri May 19, 10:49:00 AM 2006, Blogger TripJax said...

good stuff...thanks man...it is interesting you noted ftrain as first read cause i just read his response right before yours...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home