Saturday, April 08, 2006

Why I write this blog

As I was writing my last post and thinking about the use of hand histories, I recalled that I had a drafted and never published a post back in December about what this blog is intended to do. I never published it then, but I think I might as well now.

----
So many people have served up such great stories about the WPBT Winter Classic, far more than I experienced (or can remember) as I largely focused on the poker. Iggy pointed it out to me: "maybe next time you'll hang more and play less". I see his point and think it's a wise one. There are a lot of great people in this community and it is certainly a huge overlay to get to meet and spend time with many of them. Indeed in the game of life rather than poker (apologies for the pomposity of the phrase), it was probably minus EV for me to spend so much time and energy on one at the expense of the other.

Bobby Bracelet observed the same thing about my blog itself, noting that it might benefit from an occasional retreat from poker content.

But honestly for me personally, my blog and my blogger activity is primarily about the poker itself. I know it's dull and even selfish. I try to write reasonably well and lace in humor to make the package a little less dry, but in the end I blog about poker as a means of keeping myself honest and thoughtful about my game, with the goal of improving it. It is the process of remembering and analyzing hands by writing them out, highlighting thought processes and plays that worked and those that didn't, that I hope helps me with my game.

I freely admit to focusing on the trees over the forest.

Moreover, I understand that a lot of people don't really want to read through a yet another poker hand (not to mention a bad beat story), and that by focusing so narrowly on the poker I am limiting my audience. This is not to say I don't want many readers and comments--I do--but just that I am aware that the focus makes this not so interesting to many, in particular because I am not that good of a player so that even if you are looking for pure poker content there are many better sources.

So I'll continue slogging away for my own benefit and for those few that like to come along on the trip through my such as it is poker brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home